Iran reveals ‘missile city’ bunker for new weapons

Iran’s military has revealed a secret underground ‘missile city’ used to store a new generation of ballistic missiles which the US says are ‘nuclear capable’ and whose test-firing last year broke a UN resolution.

The Revolutionary Guards Corps on Tuesday released pictures and video of the underground bunker after a visit by Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani.

Iran’s Tasnim news agency said the bunker, which it dubbed a ‘missile city’, stores the Emad ballistic missile, which has a range of 2,000km and was first successfully tested on October 10. The US says the missiles are advanced enough to be fitted with nuclear warheads.

It is the second such bunker to be publicised in three months, after the Guards in October revealed a facility dug into an unnamed mountain to store and protect Iran’s advanced weaponry.

Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh, the commander of the Guards’s aerospace division, said the facility was only one of many bases scattered across the country.

The publicising of the existence of the bunker comes at a sensitive time in relations between Iran and world powers, who signed an agreement in July to largely curtail Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

Iran is still the subject of UN Security Council resolutions on missile development. The Emad’s test-firing in October was deemed by a UN panel of experts to have contravened UN Security Council resolution 1929 of 2010, which prohibits Tehran from launching ballistic missiles.

Parliament speaker Larijani (centre) inside Iran’s second ‘missile city’

A report by the UN Security Council sanctions committee, requested by the UK, US, Germany and France, stated last month: “On the basis of its analysis and findings, the panel concludes the Emad launch a violation by Iran of paragraph 9 of Security Council resolution 1929.”

Paragraph 9 states Iran “shall not undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons, including launches using ballistic missile technology”.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zaif hit back at the UN report saying “none of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s missiles has been designed for a nuclear capability”.

The report was released on the same day the IAEA, the UN’s atomic agency, closed its decade-long investigation into Tehran’s attempt to gain nuclear arms, stating that it had closed its “consideration of the matter”.

The IAEA said earlier Iran had conducted “a range of activities relevant to the development” of a nuclear bomb before the end of 2003 in a “coordinated effort”, and that some activities continued until 2009.

The closure of the probe removed an important obstacle to implementing July’s landmark nuclear deal with global powers, that shut down large parts of Iran’s domestic nuclear programme for the lifting of crippling sanctions.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s